Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pick of the week: Christian Mistress - Agony & Opium


I've been meaning to write about this album from the moment I first heard it, but you know how it goes. Anyway, here it is now, and boy do I urge you to take a look at this here album (if you haven't already). I got the album in December, if I remember correctly, and it would've been my album of the year, except that it had already come out in 2010.

Now, you may think of me as "that guy who listens to a lot of doom and shit", and while Christian Mistress skirt the same musical areas as, say, Cirith Ungol, their stuff is mainly a bit faster. I believe the style is mostly akin to NWOBHM of the early 80s, and while I'm no expert on the genre, I can hear echoes of Iron Maiden &co. in Christian Mistress's music. On top of that, the Olympia, WA -based quintet has a knack for writing kick-ass songs, which are made even more awesome by the vocals of Christine Davis. With a production that reeks of emotion, this album goes directly for my heartstrings. And did I mention that it's awesome? It is.

If you haven't yet heard Christian Mistress, do yourself a favor and take a listen.
Agony & Opium is out on 20 Buck Spin and can probably be found at least at Record Shop X.
They also have a new album out soon on Relapse Records.

No comments: