Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pick of the week: Author & Punisher - Drone Machines

So, yesterday my band Ever Circling Wolves' drummer posted a link to this youtube clip that was about a guy who'd built himself, quite literally, drone machines: a setup with which he could perform multi-layered drone music by himself, even live. Naturally, this grabbed my interest and so I watched the clip. Afterwards, I was convinced I needed this guy's music in my life and his bandcamp page came to my assistance.

Author & Punisher has made 3 albums, of which I grabbed the newest, Drone Machines (2010). I've yet to give it but a cursory listen, and too quiet at that, since it's the middle of the night, but I'm convinced nevertheless. The sound is thick, fuzzy and surprisingly organic for stuff that, due to the instruments it's performed with, could sound much more like industrial. I suppose it is because there is still a human body running these drone machines.

This awesome album can be obtained digitally from http://authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com/ or on cd from http://www.authorandpunisher.com/ (if they still have them in stock; I didn't manage to add the cds to my cart).

The video clip I mentioned is here:

No comments: